So 2007 was one of the most exciting, challenging, and overall amazing years of my entire life. I grew in my character, in my faith, in my leadership abilities, and in my health. I have seen great things and I have seen horrible things. But, through it all I can say that God has been so faithful through it all. Here are some highlights from the last 12 months:
- In early January, I received a phone call from Trinity Community Church, asking if I would be interested in a music director position they had available. After 4 interviews, an audition, and co-leading with the former music director, I was hired as the Associate Director of Music. This was my first full-time ministry position ever. My first day was on my birthday.
- In May I visited North Park Community Church for the first time.
- That same week, I attended The Orange Conference in Atlanta. It was an incredible experience and I really learned a lot.
- I was assaulted on Canada Day weekend. I ended up with a fractured orbital bone and a broken bone to the right side of my right eye. This may not seem like a highlight to most people, but it was the first time my girlfriend Sara and I went out. I ended up in the hospital for 16 hours, and she stayed by my side for 10 h. A month later, we started officially dating.
- The next week I spoke at Camp Ke-mon-oya, the place where for the previous 6 years I had been a camp counselor and worship leader. It was awesome to see the leaders who were just starting out when I was there really take ownership of the whole camp experience.
- In July, Patrick Voo, Jonathan Wagner, and myself attended the Willow Creek Arts Conference. Highlights were Donald Miller and The Mosaic Team.
- In August I started officially dating Sara Denomy. Today is the 6 month anniversary of our first date (back in July).
- On August 26th, Trinity held its congregational meeting to decide whether or not to dissolve Trinity as a congregation in the Presbyterian Church of Canada. Of the almost 400 people that voted, 97.7% voted in favour of leaving the PCC.
- In September, I handed in my resignation to Trinity Community Church effective October 31st. I was in the same company as Carey Nieuwhof, Patrick Voo, and the rest of the Trinity staff and elders.
- On October 9th, the Presbytery of Barrie voted against dissolving Trinity Community Church. This meant we had to leave our $1.6 million building to follow the vision to launch multiple campuses throughout Ontario to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus.
- On October 31st, we walked away.
- Throughout November, I was part of the team launching Connexus Community Church. Our plan was to launch two campuses in two cities in 7 days. On December 9th, we had achieved our goal.
- At 22, I have now worked for one of the largest Presbyterian churches in Canada, and have left that church to launch two church campuses in a week. I am so grateful.
- I have lost 17 lbs in the last 4 weeks.
I am really proud of what I have accomplished in the last 12 months, and am so grateful to God for the opportunities he has put before me. I have grown so much this year, more than any year before. I cannot wait to see what 2008 has in store! And, I can’t wait to share it all with you here.※ Permalink for “Great Things of 2007” published on date_to_rfc822